In response to the overturning of Roe v Wade by the US Supreme Court, and attacks on women’s rights by right-wing politicians in both Australia and abroad; thousands of people rally in Melbourne to stand in solidarity with abortion rights.
Chaired by Liz Walsh of the Victorian Socialists, speakers at the rally included:
- Dorinda Cox, Yamatji-Noongar woman and Greens Senator for Western Australia.
- Wil Stracke, Victorian Trades Hall Assistant Secretary.
- Cecilia Judge, Frontline health worker and delegate with VAHPA.
- Jamal Hakim, managing director of MSI Australia (formally Marie Stopes) a leading global advocate for reproductive rights.
- Esme James, sex history researcher and prolific TikToker.
- Chris Giddings, trans rights activist.
- Anneke Demanuele, leading student activist and socialist.
- Kath Larkin, rail worker and union delegate with the Rail, Tram and Bus Union.